Birchington On Sea
Birchington-On-Sea is a lovely, historic village located on the Isle of Thanet on the North East Coast of Kent.
It is perfectly placed, just 4 miles or so from Margate, with a railway station and fast trains into London, and regular bus services from London and around the villages and towns in the Isle of Thanet.
It is around 45 minute drive from Dartford.
History of the Village
Birchington has a rich history dating back three thousand years or so, from the early settlers who farmed the land, to the Romans who invaded our shores and settled nearby. The Isle of Thanet were the Vikings initial landing shores, and it was from here that that they made their way inland and north.
The Romans later followed, setting up Forts and Towers here. The old Roman fort of Reculver is still standing, and is a short walk from the Village along the lovely Viking Coastal Trail.
Birchington-On-Sea has since the late 19th Century attracted holidaymakers and tourists from all over.
Lovely Bays and Blue Flag Beaches
The coast around Birchington has a collection of some of the most beautiful bays in the County. You can enjoy the sandy beach at Minnis Bay, or the three other beaches which are flanked by cliffs. There is the famous Viking Coastal Trail that walkers, used by walkers and cyclists. The Viking Coastal Trail is a 27 mile circular route that passes along some of the most picturesque coastal scenery in the area, with breathtaking white cliffs overlooking the North Sea.
A stroll around the village will discover an interesting mix of architecture from across the years from the 13th Century Church which is dedicated to All Saints which is the final resting place of the Pre-Raphaelite Artist Dante Rossetti, to the houses whose underground network of tunnels were used by the Smugglers who lived here.
There is a choice of pubs offering coffee, together with restaurants which will suit most tastes, and close to the Square is Station Road just one of the choices for shopping on the Isle of Thanet.
Bays and Blue Flag Beeches
The historic Minnis Bay with its blue flag beach less than 1 mile away.
The lovely Westbrook Bay, another blue flag beach is around 2 miles away.
South Channel Water Feature around 4 miles away.
Pegwell Bay Water Feature around 5 miles away.
Places of Interest close to Birchington On Sea
- Quex House & Gardens (CT7 0BD) ist less than a mile away.
- Frost Farm (Thanet Way Caravan Co.) (CT7 0NA) is around 3 miles away.
- Minster Abbey (CT12 4AB) is around 3 miles away..
- Saint Augustine’s Cross, Ebbsfleet (CT12 5JN) is around 4 miles away.
- Reculver Towers & Roman Fort (CT6 6SX) is around 4 miles away.
- Sandwich & Pegwell Bay National Nature Reserve is around 5 miles away.
- Richborough Castle (CT13 9JL) is around 5 miles away.
- Richborough Roman Amphitheatre (CT13 9JQ) is around 6 miles away.
- Dickens House Museum (CT10 1RQ) is around 6 miles away.
- Bleak House (CT10 1ED) Place of Interest around 6 miles away.
- Stodmarsh National Nature Reserve (CT3 4BJ) is around 6 miles away.
- Royal Saint Georges Golf Club is around 6 miles away.
- Salutation Garden (CT13 9JY) ist around 7 miles away.
- Animal Park, Wingham (CT3 1BZ) is around 7 miles away.
- Barnsole Vineyard (CT3 1NX) is around 8 miles away.
- Staple Vineyard (CT3 1LP) is around 8 miles away.
- Wildwood Woodland (CT6 7LF) Place of Interest around 9 miles away.
- Goodnestone Park (CT3 1PH) Place of Interest around 9 miles away.
- Howletts Wild Animal Park (CT4 5EH) Place of Interest around 10 miles away.
- Saint Augustine’s Abbey, Canterbury (CT1 1PR) Place of Interest around 11 miles away.
- Canterbury Cathedral (CT1 2AA) Place of Interest around 12 miles away.
- Deal Castle (CT14 7DX) is around 12 miles away.
- Druidstone Park & Arts Park (CT2 9JP) is around 12 miles away.
- Blean Woods National Nature Reserve (CT2 9EF) is around 13 miles away.
- Walmer Castle & Garden (CT14 7LN) is around 13 miles away.
- Walmer Castle Garden (CT14 7PJ) is around 13 miles away.
- Elham Valley Vineyard (CT4 6LN) is around 15 miles away.
- Lydden Temple Ewell National Nature Reserve (CT16 3DJ) is around 15 miles away.