This page has some historic pictures of the Rossetti Lodge, including 2 postcards that you can still buy on Ebay of the inside of the house as it was in 1960. The house today, including its living rooms, dining rooms, courtyard garden shown in the pictures, is today very similar.
Most of the pictures on this page are from the Birchington Heritage Trust. More details at: http://www.birchingtonheritage.org.uk/
Build 1910 – 1920
Rossetti Lodge was originally built (by 1920) as a private residence for the Reverend E D de Russett. Being a large house, as well as his residence, the beautiful house with its stained glass windows, also served as a place of worship and religious discourse for the owner and his visitors.
Duncombe House, 1925 – 1961
In the early 1930’s the house became known as Duncombe House. Duncombe, in addition to other facilities like hot running water (a rarity in the 1930’s), had tennis courts in the garden.
Margaret Pindar House, 1961 – 1980
Arthur Mainwaring Bowen founded the British Rheumatic Association (BRA) in 1947 at the age of 25. Bowen’s awareness of the needs of people with arthritis began when, at the age of 19, he was diagnosed with Ankylosing Spondylitis (inflammatory arthritis, primarily affecting the spine), which led him to start the BRA as a way to help people with arthritis.
As more become known about the condition, the Association called The British Rheumatism and Arthritis Association (BRAA), though they still used the BRA monogram and logo. The BRA would later be renamed Arthritis Care, the largest arthritis charity in the UK.
In 1961, the BRA’s selected Duncombe House as their first recuperation house, where patients could come and stay by the sea and be healed by the sea salts, the sun and the fresh sea air at Birchington on Sea.
In the early 1960’s the house was known as the Lady Margaret Pindar House, who was influential in its inception and owned the house.
Margaret Pinder House was a recuperative and healing space for the British Rheumatoid Arthritis Association (BRA) from 1961 till 1980.
Rossetti Lodge, 1980 Onwards
The house has since been known as Rossetti Lodge, named after the 19th century Pre-Raphaelite artist, Dante Gabriel Rossetti who is buried at Birchington’s All Saints’ parish church close by.
Rossetti Lodge offered cancer, arthritis and recuperative residential care.
Rossetti Lodge is now a private home. It is a unique, historic healing space that is ideal for health, recuperation, pleasure, spiritual well-being and the creative exploration and expression of ones true potential, talent and life purpose.